Bride's Glow: 5 Things To Know About This Popular Facial Regime
A facial mask that has been part of the Asian culture, especially bridal culture for centuries is the Ubtan, applied by the bride-to-be to prepare the skin for an unforgettable glow, suppleness and brilliance on the D day. Here we give you a low down of what are all the benefits of this magic paste and how you can make it right at home without having to worry about use of harmful chemicals on your skin!
Applying Ubtan gives you a bright, flawless and healthy skin. It clears off the skin pores, removes dead skin cells and allows the skin to breathe more. It hydrates, moisturizes and brightens up your skin tone, giving it a natural glow and supple quality to it. Ubtan gives the skin all the nourishment from the rich qualities of its natural and harmless ingredients. For centuries it has been the beauty secret for every glowing bride in Asia. Though you can make and use the mask whenever you feel your skin needs a basic cleanse. Ubtan contains in itself the very many benefits of ingredients like sandalwood powder, turmeric, milk, lemon juice and rose water.
Ubtan is made essentially with sandalwood powder, milk, wheat flour and rose water. In some variants, drops of lemon juice are also used. In some others, oats flour, orange peels, red gram, flax seeds or even ground almond is used. The paste is of a medium consistency, while the gram flour gives it a grainy texture for better skin exfoliation.
- Sandalwood powder
Sandalwood powder or Chandan exfoliates and helps you get rid of blemishes from acne and warts. It reduces the signs of aging and heals dryness of skin. It is especially good for those with Pitta skin or pitta imbalance, since sandalwood has a really nice cooling effect on the skin as well as on your body and mind. Close up turmeric powder on grunge wooden background.Turmeric
The benefits of turmeric have been widely documented as an antibacterial wonder, rejuvenating agent, blood purifier, skin repairer, rich in antioxidants, and skin tone lightener. It adds a glow to your skin and can be easily made an inseparable part of your beauty regimen. It is especially famed for its anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties that help clear the acne and free up the pores, apart from giving the skin a natural glow. Turmeric is also known to be beneficial for treating skin conditions like Psoriasis or Eczema. A side note-turmeric is also being looked into by researchers as part of the cure for cancer due to its anti-carcinogenic properties.
Milk in Ayurveda has been called the elixir par excellence because of its properties that moisturize, calm and soften the skin. Milk provides the greasy and hydrating quality to Ubtan. In ancient texts milk is described to have the following qualities-
Unctuous or oily (Snigdha)
Thick and viscous (Bahala)
Slimy and sticky (Picchila)
Slow and gentle (Manda)
Calming and clear (Prasanna)
Promotes vitality (promotes Ojas)
Rose water is used for every occasion and every skin type, be it oily, dry or a combination skin. Pure rose water has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-aging properties. It balances the skin’s pH levels and reduces the dryness in the skin. It also has a strong aromatic essence that tingle the olfactory senses. A major reason it is used in Ubtan is it also clears the skin pores and brightens the skin tone.
Drops of lemon juice, curd or orange peels are sometimes used to naturally bleach and clear up the skin tone.
How To Prepare One Of The Basic Varieties of Ubtan?
1 Tbsp sandalwood powder
2 Tbsp gram flour
½ Tbsp turmeric powder
2 Tbsp milk
- Mix all the other ingredients up and good with milk in a bowl.
- Stir it with your hand or a ladle until you have a medium thick consistency.
- Make sure they are not lumpy. You might see the texture remains grainy due to the presence of the flour. That is perfectly fine.
- Apply the thick paste on your face, neck and if need be, your hands and feet.
- Leave it there until it dries up in about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off slowly. While you wash it off, gently making circular strokes from jaw region to cheek bones and massage your face. Ubtan should be ideally applied before going in for a shower.
- Stimulating and warming
- Restores and maintains balance in skin
- Rich in nutrients and anti-oxidantsBefore applying ubtan, it is advisable to cleanse your face first with a natural facial cleanser. Use a hydrating facial cleanser if your skin tends to get dry. After taking ubtan off and coming out of the shower, it is recommended that you apply a herbal moisturizer to save the baby soft skin from drying off and lock up the nutrition your skin received from the ubtan. The Shankara Balance Moisturizer could be your best natural option to protect the skin and maintain the natural balance after applying ubtan. This nutrient rich, antioxidant cream stays true to its natural roots as Green tea and bitter orange help balance the skin. It supports natural renewal of skin, augmenting the affects of ubtan.